If you can’t find the answer to your question here, call us today at Premier Orthodontics!
DO I NEED BRACES?
The best way to determine if you need braces is through a consultation with an orthodontic professional. Dr. Quraishi would be happy to help you decide if braces could improve your health and appearance. Some of the signs that might indicate you need braces include:
- Gaps between the teeth
- Upper and lower teeth that do not fit together properly, or do not line up
- Teeth that are crowded or crooked
- Protruding upper teeth (“buck teeth”)
- Upper front teeth that hide behind the lower front teeth
- Upper and lower front teeth that do not touch even when biting down
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF BRACES?
Braces are a highly effective way to straighten teeth and create a perfect smile. Some of the benefits of braces include:
- Better self-esteem
- A more comfortable bite
- Healthier teeth that are easier to clean
- A smile that is less susceptible to tooth decay and gum disease
- Teeth that have a lower risk for injury
HOW DO BRACES WORK?
Braces work through an archwire that is attached to individual brackets on each of the teeth. When your orthodontist adjusts the archwire, pressure is applied to the teeth, and the teeth gently glide into their ideal locations.
DO BRACES HURT?
Patients are surprised to find that the placement of braces doesn’t really hurt at all. You may experience some soreness after the placement or adjustment of your braces. Your orthodontist can educate you about ways to reduce this discomfort with rinses, wax, and over-the-counter pain relievers.
COULD BRACES INTERFERE WITH MY LIFE AND ACTIVITIES?
Although you might have to adjust your eating habits, you can continue to play instruments and sports. Of course, you should wear a mouthguard during active play, whether you are wearing braces or not!
You should be able to live your life without difficulty, even when wearing metal braces. You may also be interested in Invisalign aligners for added orthodontic convenience.
HOW DO I TAKE CARE OF MY TEETH IF I'M WEARING BRACES?
- ALWAYS remember to brush your teeth after every meal and floss at least once a day.
- Make sure to use toothpaste that contains fluoride, and ask your orthodontist or family dentist if you need a fluoride rinse. This will help prevent cavities!
- During your treatment, try to avoid foods with a lot of sugar, which increases the amount of bacteria that grows in your mouth, causing more plaque and possibly cavities.
- Avoid sticky and chewy foods (caramel, chewing gum, gummy bears), hard foods (hard candy, nuts, ice cubes), or any foods that could possibly get stuck in your braces (corn on the cob, soft bagels, ribs, taffy, etc.).
- Be sure to schedule your routine checkups with your family dentist. It is recommended that you continue to visit the dentist every six months.
DO I NEED TO BRUSH MY TEETH MORE OFTEN IF I HAVE BRACES?
With braces, you should brush your teeth at least three times a day to keep your teeth, gums, and mouth healthy and clean. Brushing regularly will help remove any food that may be caught between the braces. You should also floss daily to get in between your braces where your brush isn't able to reach. Your orthodontist can show you how to properly brush and floss once your braces are placed.
IF I HAVE BRACES, DO I STILL NEED DENTAL CHECKUPS EVERY SIX MONTHS?
Yes! In fact, it's even more important that patients receiving orthodontic treatment visit their dentist regularly. With braces, food may be caught in places that your toothbrush can't reach. This causes bacteria to build up that can lead to cavities, gingivitis, and gum disease. Your dentist will work closely with your orthodontist to make sure that your teeth stay clean and healthy while wearing braces.
HOW LONG WILL I WEAR BRACES?
The amount of time spent in braces will vary depending on the individual patient, because every smile responds differently to treatment. Treatment times can take anywhere between six and 30 months, but most standard treatments take about 18 months.
Dr. Quraishi can help you determine how long you might need to wear braces when you come in for a consultation. We would love to answer your additional questions and introduce you to a beautiful new smile! Call today to set up your appointment at Premier Orthodontics.